03 October 2010

Aberystwyth to Porthmadog

The coastal route via Borth might have provided better scenery but I'm more than satisfied with what the A487 is offering. The hills are undulating as far as Machynlleth when I enter the Snowdon National Park.
I was delighted to be contacted by my old friend Tony Jones, SIRE Auditor, and fanatical photographer, and who lives in Builth Wells. Tony has offered to come along and take some "proper" photos en-route.
I stopped at the Dolgellau Bike shop to replace my Arbus bike lock that for some reason refused to work and met the owner who was keen for me to sponsor him there and then in order for him to lock up his neat shop and join me for the rest of the ride! He promised me that the UK Coast ride was on his bucket list and gave me a replacement lock without charge. What a nice gesture.
Tony passed me and then stopped at several lay byes on the road to Porthmadog promising me that in spite of my snails pace, he would easily fix this in Photoshop to create the impression of speed!
Maria was shocked to see Tony waiting at the Ffestiniog Railway terminus at Porthmadog, having not received my text but added to the welcome with a few snaps of this lovely town. We took the short ride to Portmerion where we had the inevitable cup of tea and cheese bap. The kindly lady who served us was a marathon runner and wanted to show her sympathy for a fellow sufferer by piling in as much cheese as she possibly could! All of these sights offer so much of intersest, and we are surely just experiencing a trailer for the real thing at some stage in the no too distant future.
We spent the night at the Church of the Holy Redeemer Presbytery with Parish Priest Fr Pius Mathew, who is from Kerala. In spite of Fr Mathew's assertion that he is a modest cook, we greatly enjoyed his Chicken Biriani and Pilau and also learning of his early life in India.
The photo shows with Fr Mathew and attendees at Mass.

No comments: