09 November 2010

Arbroath to Perth

Apart from the welocoming parishioners, there was little memorable about Arbroath. The caravan site was soulless and the bathroom facilities disgraceful. On top of that it cost £20. On leaving Terry spotted the manager and "had a word." The result was the promise of a full refund. One other feature that comes to mind and that is that the Arbroath football club is located right next to the sea. No big deal but the Scotland trip has done wonders for my geography and when I listen to the football results in future, the Scotish leagues will have new meaning now that I know much more about their towns. Approaching Perth for example, I discovered that their football club is St. Johnstone!
Roisin and Vinnie Pippet have been fantastic supporters throughout the ride. Last night Roisin sent me a text to say that Laura, a classmate of Vinnie's at Cardiff Uni, lived at Abernethy, a small town about 10 miles to the South East of Perth. When Vinnie told Laura about Seawheeling and that we would be passing close to her home, she told her parents who run a chippy in Abernathy, famous for being voted the UKs best fish and chip shop in 2008 and 2009! In turn they sent word back that we would be welcome to free fish and chips there! What a lovely gesture from complete strangers. Only the fact that I would pass Abernathy at 10:00 O'Clock stopped us taking up their kind offer.
We are staying at a Caravan Club CL and the entire day for me has been spent riding though heavy rain. Although the site offered no electic hook-up, when I arrived Terry was feeling pleased with himself for having been offered a connection to the site owner's garage. Having mains power makes a great deal of difference, not least because lapttops and phones can be charged.
I was delighted to have been contacted by Brian McKay, SIRE inspector and INEOS superintendent who lives in Perth. Brian was kind enough to keep his eye on the progress of the ride and to invite me out for a meal when we passed by. Many thanks for a most enjoyable evening Brian, it was doubly welcome after such a wet day,

1 comment:

louise C said...

I havent commented since reading your trip across the southwest - and already you have arrived in the wilds of Scotland. Time must be flying by faster than I had realised. What a great time of year to see such a beautiful place - even if it is through a mist of pain, rain and never-ending hills! You are doing great things on behalf of AOS, and I hope dont feel totally forgotten up there! You are in our prayers...

Louise Carter